Students disqualified due to exceeding the 150% unit time-frame of their stated academic program or major may appeal to extend their eligibility for financial aid. Students approved under an extension appeal will be subject to an SAP contract meaning only the approved classes on the contract will count towards financial aid eligibility. Students may review their approved courses on their Student Portal (Financial Aid & Scholarships > SAP Extension of Appeal > View/Apply SAP Appeal). The approved courses are marked as "Include towards FA Progress Units".
How to submit an Extension Appeal:
- Prior to submitting an appeal, students must develop a new educational plan or update their existing educational plan with an LAHC Academic Counselor.
- Once the student has an Educational Plan, log in to the Student Portal to initiate the extension appeal:
- Click on the Financial Aid and Scholarships menu and select the current academic year, if prompted.
- Click on the SAP Extension of Appeal from the menu on the left.
- Follow the instructions and answer all required questions. You will be able to type your explanation as to why you have exceeded 150% of your program when prompted. Be sure to include a brief statement letting the committee know when you anticipate graduating from Harbor College.
- Submit the online appeal form to your portal.
Extension appeals are reviewed by the LAHC Appeals Committee. There are two levels of appeals. The result of the first-level appeal will generally be emailed to the student's LACCD email account within 45 calendar days. Students whose first level appeals are denied have the option to submit a second level appeal within 14 calendar days of the notification.